Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Ten On Tuesday

I know, I know.  I'm kind of hit and miss on Ten on Tuesday.  More miss than hit, as it were.  I might do it more often now that Chats has been moved to Wednesday.  Or whenever Patrice gets to it.  Unlike me, she actually has a life. 

Nevertheless, this week's topic was very interesting to me.  It was taken from something that has been going around Facebook.  And the topic is:

Ten Books That Have Stayed With Me Long After I've Read Them (in no particular order).

1.  Watership Down, by Richard Adams  --this one has the singular honor of being the only book ever that I've finished reading and immediately turned back to the beginning and started over.

2.  Island Of The Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell 
3.  Julie Of The Wolves, by Jean Craighead George
4.  My Side Of The Mountain, by Jean Craighead George--
5.  Call It Courage, by Armstrong Sperry -- These four books about young people, running away from society and living off the land  always appealed to my inner mountain man hermit.  (Yeah, I know technically in Island of the Blue Dolphins, she went back to save her brother, but still...)


6.  Follow My Leader, by James B. Garfield -- I learned to read Braille (with my eyes, not my fingers) because of this book, and it sparked a childhood desire to work with the visually impaired.  That is a desire that has never completely left me, even though it's been supplanted by my desire to learn welding.

7.  A Tale Of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens -- still the greatest lover story ever written  "A life that you love"  That line brings tears to my eyes, even typing it here. 

8.  The Dragonriders Of Pern, by Anne MacCafferey-- the whole series, including the Harper Hall books

9.  The Little House books, by Laura Ingalls Wilder-- I wanted to be Laura.  I even wore my hair in two long, brown braids for years, just like Laura.  For a while, I started calling my parents Ma and Pa.  My mother didn't appreciate that and made me stop. 

10.  The Little Prince, by Antoine De St. Exupery -- just read it. 

 And because I could not stop at ten...

The Chronicles Of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis
The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
 Nobody's Boy, by Hector Mallot
Little Black, A Pony, by Walter Farley
The Black Stallion, by Walter Farley
Redwall, by Brian Jaques

Pretty much anything by C.W. Anderson or Marguerite Henry

You know, I could go on and on, but I've already gone past ten, so let's just leave it at that. 

In other news, I did not go get my tire fixed today.  The other brazer had car trouble and didn't come to work until lunch time.  I worked half a day by myself.  Thus, I am plum knackered.  I checked my pressure when I got home, and decided it could wait one more day. 

Then I went and sat in my chair and didn't move for two hours. 


No comments: