Monday, March 02, 2015

Here We Go Again...

Winter storm Thor is expected to hit Wednesday night and into Thursday morning, with sleet and freezing rain.  Sigh...Once upon a time, I loved winter.  Now that I'm a bit older, it's just wearisome.


Speaking of winter storms...

Last Thursday when we had all that snow, lots of people missed work.  My guess is that the final tally of who showed up was between 50 and 75 employees. 

Friday, management made the announcement that those who did not show up due to the weather would not receive an absence in their attendance records.  Naturally, this did not set well with those of us who did show up.

I came home that evening and wrote a scathing e-mail to our Director of Operations.  It went something like this:

Dear Mr. T----,

It is with some consternation and distress that I have read your recent decision not to assess points for those who missed work due to the weather conditions on February 25 and February 26. Perhaps you are unaware that many of your employees did report to work on those days. The roads we drove were no less icy, nor were the driving conditions any less hazardous for us than they were for those who chose not to report to work. Yet we came anyway.

In declining to assess points against those who did not report to work, you are in effect saying that the extra effort we made to get here, and our dedication to the company mean nothing to you, or to ADP


No, I did not send it, but just writing it out eased my ire somewhat.

I got to work Saturday morning, and apparently enough people were upset about management's decision, that they decided to reward those who came to work that day.  We are going to get 1000 "cool points" that can be redeemed in the company's "cool stuff" store. 

Funny thing is, some of the ones who didn't come are squawking that this isn't fair to them.  Why should we get a reward for just doing our job?  Hey, they had the choice to show up, and they chose to stay home.  If you ask me, what they should have done is closed the plant for that day.  If they aren't going to do that, then keep the attendance policy in place--or announce ahead of time that it will be suspended for inclement weather.  

Now, we are supposed to have more ice this Thursday.  I wonder if they are going to give those who stay home a free pass again.  They haven't said anything about it yet.  Well, I won't have to worry about it.  I took a vacation day for that day as soon as I saw the forecast. 

Just call it a pre-emptive strike. 

No comments: