Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Mayhem

And it wasn't even Thor's Day. 

It all started when I walked in to work to find an order of parts had been put onto the floor.  There was a note on it that said print error.  I started looking at the parts, and sure enough, the parts listed on the bill of materials did not match the parts listed on the print. 

I walked over the the supervisor's station, where my supervisor, the supervisor over tubing, and the production superintendent were and said, "I need all y'all bosses."  Then I dissolved into paroxysms of laughter at the look of sheer panic on Supervisor Ronnie's face. 

After catching my breath, I explained the situation to them. Production Superintendent James said that he'd gotten an e-mail about it.  As it was sent at 11:30 PM, there aren't a lot of engineers in the office at that time, so nothing had been done about it. 

Supervisor Ronnie called one of the engineers.  Basically, what had happened was that they'd redesigned the header (manifold) assembly, only they hadn't released the updated blueprints to the shop floor.  So, the BOM showed the new parts, but the blueprint still showed the old parts.  I muttered to myself not for the first nor the last time, "God help us, we're in the hands of engineers." 

I got the updated print and began to set up to braze the order, only to discover that they'd punched the headers (manifolds) the old way and they didn't fit.  Thus ensued more discussion, which included involving the tubing group leader, who insisted that the headers were right. 

"Yes, they're right, but the print is wrong."  Whereupon he threw his hands in the air and stormed off. 

Another call to engineering, another new blueprint brought out, another utterance of "God help us, we're in the hands of engineers", but we finally got the order right.  And finally, all the bosses and engineers left my work area, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

During the day, I texted the guy who is buying my trailer and let him know I'd finished moving out.  As I drove by to pick up my mail, I saw the electric company disconnecting my power lines.  Another little stab of melancholy...

After work, I had to go to the hospital to do my annual health screening for our insurance.  All my numbers were good except my total cholesterol, which is always a bit high.  The really good news is my triglycerides are way lower than they were last year.   I guess eating a whole bag of candy corn the day before a blood test wasn't such a good idea. 

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and they had some 32" TVs for $168.  But the brand wasn't one I was familiar with, Elements.  I came home and researched the brand and model that I was considering.  It didn't get very good reviews, so when I went back this afternoon, I decided to stick with a brand I know is good quality.  It was a few dollars more (but still less than $200), but I'd rather have something I know will last.  BTW, the last Sanyo TV I bought I got when Cody was 1, and last I plugged it in a few weeks ago, it still worked.


Now, I finally have a TV for the bedroom!  I think I'll go crawl into bed and watch some TV. 

Well, I have to take it out of the box first, but you get the gist. 

No comments: