Sunday, September 27, 2015

One Thing After Another

Today was supposed to be my day off.  I was supposed to be able to sleep in, right?  Right?

So what do I do?  I wake up at 4:00 AM and can't get back to sleep.  After tossing and turning for an hour, I got up and started working on my bathroom.  I thought that if I got all that joint compound sanded smooth, then I could start painting as soon as I got home from church.

Alas, it was not to be.

The first thing I did was to take that huge mirror down.
 




It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I had a brief moment of panic when after taking the screws out, the mirror was still stuck to the walls.  I thought maybe they had glued it to the wall, but they didn't.

The thing was, the last time the previous owner painted, they didn't take the mirror down.  They just painted around it.  Some of the paint got between the mirror and the wall and acted as an adhesive.    No problem.  It just took a little prying with my putty knife to loosen it, then it came down easily enough.  I didn't even break it.

I got the mirror safely stored in the spare bedroom, and patched the screw holes, removing the drywall screw anchors in the process.  At this point, I'm still thinking I can start painting after church, but then I looked here.  See that ridge? 


That's what happens when you don't take stuff off of your walls when you paint.  I had to scrape that all off and put more joint compound there to smooth it out.  Sigh...

And that's not all!  Looky here:


That's what I found when I took the shower curtain rod down.  And there's one on the other side, too. 



Yippee.  Because I just love spreading that joint compound.

It's been a long process, but I've just about got those walls where I want them to be.  I'll give them a good sanding tomorrow when I get home and see how they look after that.  Maybe I can start painting Tuesday or Wednesday.

As I was taking my shower this morning, I looked up at my walls, and decided I didn't really want to put another wallpaper border up.  I think I'll just put some molding up.  I think I might buy a prettier light fixture, too.  The one she had up there just isn't that nice. 

I really, really need to go to Lowe's, but I don't trust my Jimmy to make even that short of a trip any more.  That means, next project -- car shopping!

And you get to go along for that ride, too. 

Ride-- get it? 

Never mind. 

No comments: