Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veteran Dreams

I had the strangest dream last night.  No, really.

I had the strangest dream that I was in Wal-mart trying to buy snickerdoodles.  Two of them, only you had to ask the person at the window for them.  I finally got some, only I couldn't check out until the lady put green paint on her face.

I finally got to check out, and left the store.  I was the only vehicle left in the parking lot, so I drove straight toward the exit until a cop frantically waved at me to get back into the driving lane.  I was still trying to drive out of the parking lot when I ran into a whole bunch of war re-enactors.  The were all in costume, but from different wars.  There were reenactors from the American Revolution, The Civil War, The Napoleonic Wars, and WWI.  I was trying my best to drive through without hitting any of them as they charged into their mock battles.  It was even worse because it was night and none of the street lights were working.

I finally made it out onto the road, and drove around the old traffic circle that used to be in my home town and made it out onto Farm Road 105 to go home.  Much to my dismay, the war reenactors were all over that road, too.  It was so dark, I could barely see beyond the hood of my car, and soldiers were suddenly appearing in front of me.  It was quite the harrowing experience.  I managed to make it until the alarm went off without squishing anyone, though it's a wonder how I did it.

I woke up wondering if today being Veteran's Day brought on that dream. Speaking of Veteran's Day, this made me tear up.


I have the greatest respect for those who fought in WWII.  They faced near impossible odds, yet the persevered and freed the world from a mad man and a tyrant.  They truly were the greatest generation.

And then there's this: 




Oh, well.  We can't all be noble.

No comments: