Tuesday, April 12, 2016

And So It Was

This is how I came to be back on 10 hour shifts.

I got to work yesterday morning, and went through my usual morning routine.  I filled my cooler with ice, then my water cup.  I clocked in, and went to my work station.  I dropped my lunch box and tool bag off, then went up stairs and printed off schedules for our line.  I filled out the quality board -- refraining from putting peon as my job title this time.  Then I got my schedule and started figuring out which orders were completed, which were still in progress, and which were ready to be started.

In the process of doing all this, I discovered that some vitally important parts for our next order were missing.  I looked all over for them.  I went to tubing and asked my parts stager Brenda if she'd seen them.  "Are you sure they aren't over there?" she asked.

"No, I'm not sure of anything because I haven't had my coffee yet," was my reply.

Brenda began also to look for these vitally important parts.  I tell you, we looked all over that plant.  I even went and looked in the scrap bin out where they haul our trash and stuff off.   The vitally important parts were nowhere to be found.  Eventually, we came to the conclusion that the vitally important parts would have to be remade.

By this time, the coils were on the line, waiting for these vitally important parts.  As tubing began rushing these vitally important parts to me, and I began putting them together and brazing them up, Group Leader Theresa turned to me with a sigh, and said, "I'm going to see if I can have you start coming in at 5."  I didn't argue with her.

Thus, I am back on 10 hour shifts.

Today after work, I had to run in and get more milk.  Since I can't seem to go to the store without wandering through the garden center, that's where I ended up.

They say the first step is admitting you have a problem.



Sigh...

Houston, we have a problem.

No comments: