Sunday, April 24, 2016

Weekend Wrapup

When it rains, it pours...

You know I have to cut that big tree down.  And you know about Cody's emergency room visit.  (If you don't, scroll back a few days.)

Friday, I got a text from Cody.  He needs $2400 to pay his school bills, or they won't let him graduate.  Sigh, if it's not one thing, it's another.  Beverly and James are going to pick up $1000 of that, but I've still got to come up with an extra $1400.  If it were just one of those things, it wouldn't be a problem.  But paying for all three is really going to leave me strapped.  Saturday, I went to work and begged my supervisor for all the overtime he can get me.  They are hiring summer temps, and I strongly suggested Cody apply.  He's living in a fantasy world if he thinks he can just waltz down to New Orleans and find an apartment with no money and no job.  And no, I'm going to pay for two months rent for him.  He's going to have to find a job, and fast.

After news like that, I needed to get my hands into some dirt.  I clawed up my front flower bed, and put my border down.


Yes, that is my tape measure in the corner.  I didn't want my bed to be a trapezoid.  I'm eventually going to extend it the entire front length of the house, but for now, I just dug up enough to plant what I'd already bought.


I got everything into the ground, then decided I was too tired to mulch it.  That would have to wait.


Saturday, after work and a quick trip to the store in which I could not resist the siren song of the garden center, I put the mulch down.


I only had one bag of mulch, but it was almost enough to get the whole bed done.  I just have this one tiny, little corner left unmulched.


I'll fill it in when I get more mulch.

As I mentioned, I was unable to resist the siren song of the garden center.  I was kinda good, though, and only bought this one dianthus.


This afternoon, when I was out watering my bed, my neighbor came over to see what I had planted.  We got to chatting, and she gave me this other dianthus.


In the course of our conversation, I mentioned that I couldn't find an empty hanging basket to put my bellis in.  "I've got one," she said, and she gave me this one.


I hung it in my carport, where it can get some morning sun and afternoon shade.


Finally, she gave me a bunch of mint she had growing in her yard.  I put it right beside my back door, because she said it keeps mosquitoes away.


I put my white fencing around it to keep Rylea out.  I'm going to move those potted plants to the porch after I paint the baker's rack Beverly gave me before she left.  Now, I've got a little herb garden right outside my door.

I tried to paint it the other day, but all my spray paint had dried up.  I was going to buy some Saturday, but forgot it.  I may run by and get some tomorrow when I deposit Cody's college money.

Then try to figure out how I'm going to pay the tree guy.

No comments: